Monday 14 March 2016

White with 1 ?


Sitting on the steps of the Trinity Uniting Church on St Georges Tce in the City, every morning, is my mate. 

He's an older fellow, maybe 60's. He likes to sit on the church steps and read, he goes through about 1 book a day.

To be honest, I am pretty sure that he's homeless, I am assuming he is someone in need. I am not entirely sure what that need is, I don't even know his name. 
I also assume that he is lonely.
I do know that he is from the Pilbara and he thinks that our recent summer was too mild "Didn't even get bloody warm Mate!" he told me.

He got my attention one day last week, because he looked very peaceful. He doesn't have his hand out, he's not asking anyone for anything but he looked like he could do with a good meal.

My mate is not too bad off. He probably isn't even the one most in need. After recent months working in the city, I am certain there are hundreds of people in more dire need and the situation seems to be getting worse on a daily basis. But he caught my eye and because I didn't have to do the awkward "I don't have any change to give" shuffle, or the "I am currently in fear for my life, please don't scream at me" run, for some reason I was more open to giving.


I gave him my banana and asked how he liked his coffee. 

"White with one love, cheers".

It's now a nice morning ritual to bring my mate a coffee, but I have just realised it's high time I introduced myself and found out his name.

P.S He reminds of someone. Someone who once was in a situation where they had no-one and nothing and with the help of others, has a great life now. I wasn't able to help this person then, I didn't know them. So I can do this little bit now.



No comments:

Post a Comment